Science Statement of Intent
SUBJECT LEAD: MISS S HAMED
At Cherry Tree Academy, we recognise the importance of science in every aspect of daily life. As one of the core subjects, we give the teaching of science the prominence it requires. We aim to equip pupils with knowledge, skills and understanding and to encourage children to be inquisitive throughout their time at Cherry Tree Academy. Throughout the programmes of study, the children will acquire and develop the key knowledge that has been identified within each unit and across each year group. We will ensure that the Working Scientifically skills are built-on and developed throughout children’s time at the school so that they can apply their knowledge of science when using equipment, building arguments and explaining concepts confidently. We will encourage them to continue asking questions and to be curious about the world around them.
Science Statement of Implementation
Early Years Foundation Stage
In the Foundation Stage, children are taught Science through the key area of learning set out within the EYFS Statutory Framework. Through a broad range of teacher-led, child-initiated and continuous learning opportunities, children will be taught to:
· Use their senses to investigate a range of objects and materials
· Find out about, identify and observe the different features of living things objects and worldly events
· Look closely at similarities, differences, patterns and change
· Ask questions about why things happen and why things work
· Develop their communication and co-operation skills
· Talk about their findings, sometimes recording them
· Identify and find out about features of the place they live and in the natural world around them.
Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2
In Key Stage 1 and Lower Key Stage 2, science is taught by the class teachers. This ensures that the quality of science teaching throughout these key stages remains consistent. Science is taught in planned and arranged blocks. This is a strategy to enable the achievement of a greater depth of knowledge. Through our planning, we involve problem solving opportunities that allow children to find out for themselves. Children are encouraged to ask their own questions and be given opportunities to use their scientific skills and research to discover the answers.
The heart of science teaching at Cherry Tree Academy is our commitment to practical, explorative and investigative learning. We believe in a hands-on approach where children learn by doing it for themselves. This approach encourages our children to
build resilience and become creative, critical thinkers. Our teaching and learning supports our curriculum by ensuring that lessons build on prior learning and provide opportunities for guided and independent practice.
The successful approach at Cherry Tree Academy results in a fun, engaging, high-quality science education that provides children with the foundations and knowledge for understanding the world. Our children love Science!
Children will know more, remember more and understand more about the curriculum. Children retain prior-learning and explicitly make connections between what they have previously learned and what they are currently learning.
Our children have:
· A wider variety of skills linked to both scientific knowledge and understanding, and scientific enquiry and investigative skills
· A richer vocabulary which enables them to articulate their understanding of taught concepts
· Confidence and a love of learning for all things science.
Subject Leader: Miss S Hamed