Personal Development and PSHE
SUBJECT LEAD: MRS S FIELD
At Cherry Tree Academy, we understand the importance and impact that PSHE and PD education can have on each and every child. Children should understand the world around them and aspire to grow and be the best version of themselves. To do this, they must develop their knowledge, attitudes, skills, relationships and behaviours that are important both inside and outside of the school community.
Our wider curriculum offer supports the growth and development of children and encourages them to build their resilience, confidence and independence as well as helping them to understand how to keep themselves physically and mentally healthy. We offer after school activities that support this offer and an enrichment programme that broadens the children’s experiences and understanding of the world.
At Cherry Tree Academy, we celebrate diversity and inclusion – this runs throughout our school on a daily basis as well as being taught during specific lessons. Allowing all children to thrive in a fast changing, interconnected and communication rich world, children need the ability to be driven and flexible in navigating complex environments.
As a whole school, we use Jigsaw in support of our teaching and learning. This underpins the children’s understanding of British Values and relationships education. Throughout the lessons, children are encouraged to:
- Improve their social skills to better enable collaborative learning (Connect us)
- Relax their bodies and calm their minds to prepare them for learning (Calm me)
- Help the brain to focus on specific learning intentions (Open my mind)
- Initiate new learning (Tell me or show me)
- Facilitate learning activities to reinforce the new learning (Let me learn)
- Support them in reflecting on their learning and personal development (Help me reflect)
There are six Puzzles in Jigsaw designed to progress in sequence from the beginning of each academic year:
- Term 1: Being Me in My World
- Term 2: Celebrating Difference (including anti-bullying)
- Term 3: Dreams and Goals
- Term 4: Healthy Me
- Term 5: Relationships
- Term 6: Changing Me (including Puberty and Human Reproduction Education)
Each Jigsaw overview links to our safeguarding curriculum.
Subject Leader: Steph Field