Writing at Cherry Tree Academy
SUBJECT LEADERS: MISS K KING AND MRS A WILDE
At Cherry Tree Academy the aim of our curriculum is to be ambitious, provide opportunities for our children to develop as independent, confident, successful learners with high aspirations who know how to make a positive contribution to their community and the wider society.
There is a high focus on developing our children’s knowledge in writing in sequential and progressive steps. This is underpinned by immersing our children in a wide range of fiction and non-fiction texts which help them to connect with the world around them, equipping our children for life outside of education in a modern and diverse Britain and beyond. Quality reading material is the golden thread which runs through all aspects of the writing curriculum.
In developing the writing curriculum, we have carefully considered the context in which our children and young people live:
- Our children live in a world where they require the skills, flexibility, emotional intelligence and expertise to be leaders and thrive as successful members of society.
- Our children live in a world where early development of vocabulary skills is the most important factor in developing their skills as a writer.
- Our children live in a world where building positive relationships with those around them is key to future success.
We want our children and young people to:
- Be articulate and be able to express themselves, their views and their feelings in a positive way.
- Be ambitious and have the skills and expertise to thrive in a everchanging, interconnected and communication rich world.
- Be inspired to improve the world around them.
- Be rich in language and have a passion for learning.
- Be tolerant of others, celebrate difference and value the diverse community in which they live.
Through the writing curriculum at Cherry Tree Academy we aim to relentlessly pursue growth and excellence – Every Day.